Here is another update on the development of our new property. The rains have brought some beautiful mushrooms up in our new vege garden, but we don’t know what type they are. We are playing it safe.
This should give you an idea of how much rain we have had in the last month. This tub was empty on April 7th.
The pond I have been digging is filling quickly.
We have lots of trees ready to plant out. This is about half of the trees we will plant this winter.
I bought 10 olive trees for $4 each. I have transplanted them into larger pots and will let them grow for another year before planting them out.
I have planted about 100 Black Boy peach stones in these sand beds. They will germinate next spring after spending the winter outdoors. Then I will prick them out and pot them up.
We are preparing to plant a couple thousand garlic in late June. Here is a bed being prepared by killing the grass and managing a compost pile next to it for easy access.
We have a great source of wood shavings from our midwife who keeps fancy chickens. I can fit about his much in the back of my Swift on the way home from work each fortnight.
Speaking of chickens, our little chicks are getting their adult plumage just in time for the cold weather.
Some friends dropped this Orpington rooster by yesterday. They live in town and only discovered last week that he is a and not a she. The neighbours were not impressed.
And speaking of midwives, we planted baby Manu’s placenta with this apple tree, which is one of the original root stocks of the Monty’s Surprise.
Yesterday I also got delivery of a broadfork that a friend welded for me. A broadfork is used to decompress soils. I’ll write an entire post on broadforks in the future.
Also yesterday I found this waiting for me next to the barn first thing in the morning.
Never a dull moment on a permaculture farm.